Slip and fall is one of the most prevalent accidents, whether in the workplace or somewhere else. It usually occurs because of other people’s negligence. If you or a loved one suffered severe injuries from this type of accident, you might file a claim. An efficient slip and fall accident lawyer in California will serve as your best ally.
What are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are usually caused by someone else’s negligence or yours. However, most injuries are usually due to risky conditions, including:
- Debris/blocked walkways
- Failure to take prompt action to resolve a hazard
- Uneven or deformed flooring
- Poorly secured rugs
- Worn out or uneven carpeting
- Wet, icy, or slippery surfaces due to spilled fluids or snow
- Poorly lit walkways or hallways
- Failure to warn visitors regarding a hazardous condition
- Broken stairs/poorly secured banisters
Most Common Injuries Victims Sustain in Slip and Fall Accidents
This type of accident can cause serious injuries. Based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevent (CDC), the most common injuries include the following:
Cuts and Bruises
Although not as serious as other slip and fall injuries, it can result in disfigurement. It’s also considered a significant loss.
Fractures or Broken Bones
Fractures happen if the bones can no longer withstand pressure. Falls can greatly impact the bones because of a traumatic force that affects the entire body. Body parts that usually experience fracture include the ankle, hips, and wrist.
You may accidentally twist during a fall, which can result in knee damage. Your medial collateral ligament (MCL) or anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) will take longer to heal once damaged. Additionally, you may endure dislocated patella. If this happens, it’s likely that you’ll undergo knee reconstruction in the future.
Sprained Ankles or Wrists
When you fall, it’s not usual that you make an uneven step. Your natural reflex of putting your arms out to cushion yourself can result in sprained wrists. The ligaments in your wrist and ankle may tear leading to sprain or strain. It would take longer to heal because ligaments don’t receive enough blood.
Spine and Nerve Damage
The delicateness of the spine and nerves can manifest from direct trauma, cuts, or stretching. It may result in permanent damage but you can still recover with treatment.
Head injuries, whether traumatic or not, can have permanent damage to the victim. Vehicular accidents account for 14% of head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries in the Unites States.
Identifying the Liable Party
When it comes to slip and fall accidents, the law can be at times a bit clouded. A property owner becomes liable if:
- The employee or the property owner caused the condition, resulting in the victim’s injury. For example, there was a spill but wasn’t wiped, which could have prevented the accident and injury.
- The employee or the property owner knew about a certain hazardous situation. However, they didn’t do anything to fix or correct it.
- The employee or the property owner should have recognized the hazardous condition because a “sensible” person would have learned the hazard and made actions to set it right.
If you or a loved one suffer damages because of other people’s negligence, you can file a claim for compensation. You need an efficient slip and fall accident lawyer in California to defend you from the defendant and insurance company.
What Damages Can You Recover?
Even if no two premises accountability claims are the same, you can file a claim. It includes economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Previous and future lost earnings
- Medical expenses, rehabilitative care
- Permanent impairment
- Attorneys’ fees and legal costs
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
Things You Should Know About Slip and Fall in California
Who is liable for a slip and fall in California?
In California, people owe a duty of care to other people who access their property from harm. This duty deals with people who own, rent, dwell or handle a property. There could also be parent companies or insurance companies that are liable to pay retribution to people in California.
What Do You Need to Establish to Recover Damages?
Recovering damages for a slip and fall accident requires four things and these are:
- The defendant’s negligence was a significant factor in causing harm to the plaintiff
- The defendant was negligent in the use or maintenance of the property
- The plaintiff was harmed by slipping or falling on the property
- The defendant owned, leased, occupied, or controlled the property
Seek Legal Help from an Efficient Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in California
Accidents happen suddenly anywhere the least you expect it. If you or your loved one suffered damages because of a slip and fall due to others’ negligence, seek legal help.
Our team of compassionate and efficient slip and fall accident lawyers at the Benjamin Law Firm will defend your rights against those who caused you harm. We’re here to help you secure the compensation that you truly deserve.
Call us today at (818) 423 4878 and let’s talk about your case at no obligation. We are always here for you.