When to Hire a Car Accident Attorney? A motor vehicle accident leaves the victims with many things to consider during such a stressful time. Running through their minds are many issues like the damage to their vehicle, damage to property, expenses to be incurred to treat the injuries, and making claims against the at-fault driver or their insurance companies. At times, the thought that they need to have a lawyer representing them does not come readily to their mind, understandably so.
The first thing that ought to occupy your mind after involvement in a car accident is to seek the appropriate medical treatment. This will enable you to be attended to by a professional health provider concerning the injuries sustained by the accident. All this time, you will need to keep a record of the medical treatment and the extent of the injuries suffered because this will be helpful if you pursue a personal injury claim, which is your right.
After getting the requisite medical treatment, you can consider hiring a car accident lawyer immediately. This is because time is most important.
A car accident lawyer will help you fight for and pursue compensation for your injuries sustained from the accident. It is essential to understand that after the occurrence of the car accident, the insurance company for the blameworthy vehicle will vehemently look for you with minuscule and meagre offers for settlement in the hope that you will concede to them. This they will do so fast before any thought of hiring a car accident lawyer comes to your mind. They understand the importance of having a car accident lawyer and the grave disadvantage on your side. An experienced lawyer will increase the chances of having a fair settlement instead of when you would have been alone.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Below are steps you should take, from the immediate accident scene to recovery and total compensation.
1. Get in touch with the police. These professionals are lawfully authorized to document and investigate a car accident to determine who is at fault and advise on the next step. The police shall look into the circumstances of the car accident and prepare a report on the same. You must talk to the police at the accident scene if you are in a position to. By speaking to the police, you shall be enabling them to understand the circumstances of the case so that they can determine the at-fault party. Should the police report point out that the other driver was negligent during the accident, you can quickly get compensation. Should you encounter difficulties speaking to the police, you can ask one of the people who witnessed the accident to contact the police on your behalf. Moreover, you must get a car accident lawyer as soon as possible so they can contact the police on your behalf.
2. Seek medical treatment. This is a crucial step immediately after involvement in a car accident. If you can personally contact a health professional, you need to do so immediately, considering the injuries sustained and the gravity of the accident. The medical health providers will also ensure your quick recovery while recording and keeping evidence of the injuries sustained. By seeking and finding a medical centre as soon as possible, you can reduce the extent of the injuries suffered. Often, those who seek urgent medical attention can turn around injuries that would otherwise have resulted in fatalities into manageable conditions. Moreover, by seeking urgent medical attention, accident victims can have medical personnel examine them for possible internal injuries. By being able to check on internal injuries as soon as possible, the accident victims treatment immediately and be able what would have otherwise been life-long injuries.
3. Unless otherwise advised by the police, you should not leave the accident scene. This may result in having a criminal charge preferred against you. It’s also important to be present at all material times to avoid tampering with the accident scene. Tampering with an accident scene is criminal because an innocent party may be found liable for the accident while you are at fault. Therefore, you must not tamper with the accident scene unless you are lawfully required to do something that would otherwise tamper with the accident scene.
4. Obtain the details, personal or other necessary details of the other driver involved in the accident, including their identity, insurance, and license. It is important not to walk away from the accident scene without getting as many details as possible. As the matter progresses in court or during negotiations with an insurance company, you will appreciate that having as much information as possible is crucial. It is, therefore, necessary that you get to take and record as much information as possible from the other driver. If taking the other driver’s details becomes challenging, you can take pictures of the other car to pull out the information later.
5. Your insurance company should be notified as soon as possible. Ensure you notify your insurance company of the accident as quickly as possible. Most insurance policies stipulate when to inform the insurance company of the accident. Suppose you do not notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as is provided in the insurance policy. In that case, you may not be able to get the maximum compensation that you rightfully deserve.
6. It would be essential to have an accurate record of the occurrence of the accident and what you could remember before, during, and after the accident. Taking pictures will be helpful, and identifying any witnesses necessary to support your court claim would be required. The videos, as well as the photographs, will be crucial for determining the at-fault party. They shall also be essential during negotiations with the insurance adjuster or when arguing your case in court. Therefore, you must have a summary of the chronology of events in the car accident. Remembering and recording the sequence of events would greatly help the court and the insurance adjuster know that you are entitled to maximum compensation.
7. When you hire an auto accident attorney, they should be able to participate in the investigation, including identifying any security cameras that may have captured the accident. After you have engaged a car accident lawyer, ensure that they actively participate in the investigations so that they can pick and obtain pieces of evidence that would aid your personal injury case. The evidence may be found in CCTV footage, which would help determine the party at fault.
8. At all times during the investigation, either by the police or any other party, you should not admit guilt. Which will also only sign or write or execute documents with an understanding of the import of the same and consulting your personal injury attorney. By admitting that you are guilty, you shall be making the work of your personal injury lawyer difficult, as it would be challenging to attain compensation after realizing that you are guilty.
9. Despite wanting to publicize your ordeal on social media, your accident attorney will strongly advise against this. You mustn’t post about the accident on social media as the same may later work against you. Letting your personal injury attorney deal with the issue without unnecessarily making their jobs difficult will increase your chances of getting the maximum compensation you deserve following a car accident.
10. During or even before any of these steps above, you can contact and hire a lawyer, noting that the earlier, the better. If you get a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, you can increase the chances of your personal injury lawsuit being successful. By delaying, you shall deny them an opportunity to visit the accident scene and obtain as much information as necessary. It is, therefore, crucial that you reach out to your lawyer as soon as possible.
Is it Worth Getting a Car Accident Lawyer if I’ve Been in an Accident?
The answer to this question is simple, yes. It is always worthy and necessary. The professionals are the most crucial professionals and experts in dealing with personal injury claims. They would greatly help you pursue any compensation arising from your car accident and advise you on your rights.
Frequently Asked Questions on Getting a Car Accident Lawyer.
Should I get a lawyer for an accident that wasn’t my fault?
When you hire a car accident lawyer, they will enable you to seek and obtain compensation from the insurance company, notwithstanding your fault in the accident. You will therefore need a very experienced personal injury lawyer throughout this process.
Do I have to have a lawyer that specializes in accident cases?
While any lawyer who has the requisite license to practice may be able to represent you in an accident case, it is always advisable to have a specialized car lawyer accident and personal injury accident lawyer to represent you in your case. It is because they are more experienced and skilled in handling their claims. There are many issues at stake. This includes negotiations, investigations of the accident, obtaining necessary evidence, and even litigation in court. The more experienced and specialized in personal injury practice, the higher the chances of having a successful compensation claim.
How long do you hire a car accident lawyer after an auto accident?
Immediately after the occurrence of a car accident is when you should hire a car accident lawyer.
How much is a car accident settlement
When hiring a car accident lawyer, you would be advised that settlements depend on one case to the other based on the severity of the accident and the nature of injuries sustained. Insurance companies are ready to offer you the minor settlement possible, notwithstanding the gravity of the injuries sustained. Therefore, having an accident lawyer beside you is essential to help you level the playing field and ensure you get the most just and adequate compensation.
What can I recover after an accident?
The standard way to recover anything is financial. This means that you may recover finances used to repair your vehicle, finances in compensate the loss of your vehicle or decrease in value of the car, expenses incurred to treat your injuries now and in the future, money for lost income presently and in the future, and financial compensation for pain and suffering; mentally, emotional or physical. You may also recover punitive damages aimed at punishing the at-fault party. In addition, your loved ones, like your spouse or children, may sustain any claim because of your accident, like loss of consortium.
How long does a car accident lawsuit take?
There is no standard duration in which accident loss is expected to be entirely determined. This time varies from one case to the other but generally takes a few months to a maximum of two years. The factors that inform the duration include the attitude of the art fault party- if they admit, the sooner the claim may be finished, the length of negotiations, the parties involved like insurance, obtaining evidence, and the conduct of the trial.
How much does a car accident lawyer charge for a car accident claim?
Again, this is another factor that is subject to the practice of the individual lawyer. Most accident lawyers offer their services on a contingency fee basis. The effect of this is that they will only be entitled to payment of their legal fees upon the success of your claim. When you hire a car accident lawyer, they should be able to advise you on the mode of charging their legal fees as appropriate.
On aggregate, the contingency fees typically range from 33% to 40%, but each case differs. Some expenses are also incurred other than the lawyers’ fees, like court filing fees, costs incurred by witnesses, disbursements such as travel expenses, and fees for the court reporter for depositions and transcripts, among others.
How do I deal with the insurance company and the insurance claim?
As stated earlier, an insurance company will aim to provide you with the most minor settlement possible. A car accident lawyer will give you a strong case against the insurer and deliver the material necessary to prove your claim during the negotiation. With the help of your accident lawyer, you will need to be constantly on the lookout not to waive your right and settle for an unjust settlement.
What if the other driver did not have insurance?
When you hire the services of a car accident lawyer in California, they should be able to locate and trace the driver who says any insurance does not cover them. California law requires all drivers to have auto insurance; some insurance policies also cover uninsured motorists. However, they will nonetheless be financially responsible.
In California, the law doesn’t require drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP). Instead, auto insurance policies typically include bodily injury liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical costs and possibly lost wages up to the coverage limits for anyone injured due to the policyholder’s negligence.
If you’re involved in an accident, it’s important to understand that your insurance policy can cover your injuries and losses up to your policy’s limits, regardless of who was at fault. Discussing the specifics of your case and your policy with your attorney is recommended to understand how the law and insurance coverages apply to your situation.
What do you do in a minor car crash?
A car accident lawyer will be best placed to advise you on the extent of the crash involved, whether minor or otherwise. The accident may not be negligible as it may appear. Some injuries may not exhibit immediately after the accident but way later. The nature of the injuries and damage to their vehicle would inform whether the crash is minor. Just like any other crash, it would be essential to seek the services of a doctor to examine you and treat you for any stated minor injuries. Your car accident lawyer will also help you obtain the necessary documentation to help you seek compensation and pursue legal action in recovery.
How can I maximize my car accident settlement?
This question is best answered when you hire a car accident lawyer. They strengthen your case with solid evidence obtained by your lawyer at all stages of the accident, immediately after the accident, during treatment in the hospital, and even after recovery. Always keep all documents relevant to your accident, like medical reports.
What types of car accidents can personal injury lawyers represent me in?
When you hire the services accident lawyer, you should be able to represent you in drunk, drugged, negligent, distracted, drowsy, text, speeding, reckless driving cases, Hit and Runs, Uber, Lyft, and Ridesharing Accidents, Vehicle Defects, Highway Construction, Head-on, Rear-end, Side Impact, Semi-Truck, Motorcycle, Self-Driving Car, Pedestrian Accidents, Passenger Injuries, Defective equipment such as faulty tires among others.
How do I decide which car accident lawyer to hire for your claim?
When hiring a car accident lawyer, you must consider the lawyer’s history, track record, and experience dealing with car accident injury claims and victims. It is essential to have specialized lawyers in personal injury claims. Be keen to avoid personal injury attorneys who have many clients as they would tend to maximize ultimate compensation at the expense of having a solid case and fair and just settlement. Having an experienced car accident lawyer will be a significant step towards the car accident victims receiving maximum compensation. Therefore, you must screen many car accident lawyers for the right personal injury lawyer.
Is any experienced personal injury attorney near me?
Big Ben Lawyers are near you and available to help you recover compensation in any car accident lawsuits you may want to pursue in California. We are always ready to receive your call-call us now!
Big Ben Law Lawyers
The team at Big Ben Law is immediately aware of the enormous repercussions of a car accident. With this in mind, we strive to ensure that the process is as seamless as possible for you and your loved ones. We will carefully examine how the car accident occurred to help you establish responsibility for your losses and look into every possible avenue of compensation for your collision claim.
Contact Big Ben Lawyers Today
Big Ben Lawyers’ personal injury lawyers realize how stressful the aftermath of a car accident is. Big Ben Lawyers must assist our clients in getting through this challenging event by aiding them with the convoluted legal process and giving them the best chance of receiving the highest compensation they deserve.
Contact our able Firm of Attorneys, and we shall passionately pursue your personal injury cases.
Contact us now.